Introduction

Kia Ora! Hello! Kaja nga ai i?


Hello lovely people! My name is July short for Julyseng. My full name is Julyseng Lahpai. Yeah yeah ok, it's an old joke, but my sibling names' aren't June, August, May lol. Sometimes, my uber drivers ask me where my name came from. I would usually say it's somewhere from South Africa or Hawaii and get away with it.

I am a Kachin from Myanmar living in Wellington, one of the coolest cities in the world. It's hard to introduce myself sometimes and explain how did I end up here in New Zealand so, long story short: I came here as a refugee 8 years ago. I am now a citizen or we call ourselves a Kiwi (like a bird, not the fruit).  


oh hi there! It's me. 

I grew up in a small town called Laiza, Kachin State/Myanmar. I am a long way from home and I bet some of you understand the feeling of homesickness. I also spend over three years in Malaysia as an immigrant/refugee.

For many years, I have always wanted to go back and see my family, but I was not able to do it for so many reasons. I miss everything about my hometown! Especially my mom's delicious home cook meals. 
I am so excited and anxious at the same time to see my family again this year! 


               Laiza Township, Kachin State


I finished Uni end of last year and have been saving up for the trip $$$. I  thought I would share my journey back to Myanmar. I bet you! It's gonna be an interesting trip and 12 years living overseas has shaped a lot of my world view. Some of my friends told me about their 'reverse culture shock' experience and I ask myself 'reeeally!!!  is it that bad?'. Well, I guess we will find out soon hah! 

That's all for now! I will try my best to update you with more posts soon. Don't be a stranger and leave a comment below if you have any questions. 

Take care xoxo,
July


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts