Kachin Traditional Thanksgiving AKA N-lung Nnan Sha Poi


Kia Ora Fam, I hope that you are doing your best at living through a pandemic or post-pandemic era depends on where you are. It's been a while since I sat down and write one of these blogs so why not write one today. It has been an incredibly challenging year for many people in so many different ways. My biggest challenges were trying to stay positive and staying sane in this crazy world. What about you? 


Since New Zealand stepped down to Covid alert level 1, I have been actively looking for a full-time IT job. At the same time, still continuing my barista job, court interpreting and volunteering work. Honestly, I am in an endless circle of aggressively applying for five different jobs a week and then some week, I just could not put any effort even opening my laptop. However, it's been helpful to have a network of mentors and friends supporting me through this job hunting process so I am very grateful for that.


When a lot of things in my life are not happening the way I expect, it is so easy to lose sight of the good things I currently have such as good health, kind people, a safe home and a community. I did not write that to sound cheesy and cliche but I really mean it. Having a grateful heart and positive energy is what I can afford right now. 


Speaking of being grateful, I celebrated Thanksgiving today with Wellington Kachin Community in Porirua. Kachin thanksgiving tradition involves people bringing their crops to church and decorate them beautifully at the altar to give thanks to God for his provision. 


Thanksgiving decoration with fruits and veges


Many farmers had just harvested their rice from their paddy fields so they would cook that fresh and aromatic rice on the day with other meat dishes. Unlike the American thanksgiving, we do not eat Turkey, mashed potato or pumpkin pie but I definitely want to experience that. People would sing and dance with traditional instruments and it is just a wonderful time. Writing this just made me feel nostalgic right now. I miss unwrapping food from banana leaves and eating with your hand while sitting on rice straws. What a happy childhood memory! 





 


















Mustard greens salad with roasted peanut and Kachin Rice Salad - my favourite soul food







As many Kiwis here, Kachins do not have a full-garden to grow their veggies and fruits so we compromised by buying them from supermarkets instead. We still like to sing in Kachin, wear our Kachin traditional costume, cook the rice we bought and most importantly count our blessings. For that reason I could say that thanksgiving spirit is definitely there! At the end of the day we share the crops we brought and go home with a full belly and a baskets full of food. 





I just wanted to share this beautiful tradition with you today and remind you to count your blessings or be grateful for the good things in your life. Personally, I feel more connected, fulfilled and content. You can say it out loud or write them down on your diary etc. 


Do you celebrate Thanksgiving? If you do what is your family tradition?


Thank you for reading this blog. I wish you peace and happiness. 

Comments

Popular Posts